Sunday, January 16, 2011

Being a Leader First

Today as I reflected on the past week and what we had accomplished at work.  My team writes and supports software for our company.  This past week we fixed a few things and resolved a problem that had been going on for several weeks.  This was great since it increases out customer satisfaction and makes the environment a little less stressful, but in the end I think our biggest success is that we became a closer group.  Our journey to become an true 'Ohana may take some time, but I am determined to guide us there be being a leader first.

Not knowing my background some may say this is no big task, but I wish it were that easy.  You see, just four months ago I was a member of the team I now lead.  I was having fun programming  as an individual contributor and working a my projects with the members of our team. Now I have to remind myself I AM the leader and no longer the programmer.

Several times I have heard the CEO of Zappos, Tony Hsieh, say that they are a service company who just happens to sell shoes and clothing.  Tony has been very outspoken about service first and building a culture to support this.  He even wrote a book about it, Delivering Happiness - A Path to Profits, Passion ans Purpose. Once I get around to reading the book I will share more, but if you have ever seen Tony speak you can tell he has figured out how to be a great leader.

I'd like to steal Tony's quote about Zappo's and use it for myself.  In my mind I am the leader of a team who just happens to write software.  As I have told almost all the members of my team the most important part of my job is helping them be successful.  That means if they need something I help them get the help they need.  It also means I don't get in there way when they are working.  I also means they do the programming and I do the leading. Going back to my initial post, I will take care of them as there leader and they take care of me by producing awesome software.

No comments:

Post a Comment